Where we are located
Village of Scottsville
Scottsville is a village in southwestern Monroe County, New York, United States, and is in the northeastern part of the Town of Wheatland. The population was 2,001 at the 2010 census. The village is named after an early settler, Isaac Scott. Most Scottsvillians work in and around the city of Rochester, New York—the village of Scottsville is located about a ten minute drive from the outer limits of the city.
Isaac Scott, one of the first settlers, arrived in 1790 and purchased 150 acres of land from owners who lived in London and Great Britain. This land covered much of what is now the village of Scottsville. Scott’s log house was at the southwest corner of Main and Rochester Streets in the village.
The following sites are on the National Register of Historic Places: Isaac Cox Cobblestone Farmstead, Grace Church, David McVean House, Simeon Sage House, William Shirts House, Union Presbyterian Church, and Windom Hall. TheRochester Street Historic District is a national historic district listed in 1973.
The village is located one mile west of the junction of Oatka Creek and the Genesee River. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles, all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,128 people, 835 households, and 591 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,968.1 people per square mile. There were 852 housing units at an average density of 788.0 per square mile. The racial makeup of the village was 91.92% White, 4.32% African American, 0.66% Native American, 0.56% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 1.08% from other races, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.96% of the population.
There were 835 households out of which 34.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 11.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.2% were non-families. 24.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the village the population was spread out with 28.1% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $52,472, and the median income for a family was $61,316. Males had a median income of $43,250 versus $30,781 for females. Theper capita income for the village was $24,831. About 1.2% of families and 2.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.7% of those under age 18 and 1.2% of those age 65 or over.
Village government is headed by the mayor and the Board of Trustees and is located in a recently renovated building at 22 Main Street.
Public schools are under the jurisdiction of the Wheatland-Chili Central School District and includes an elementary school, middle school and high school.
Village of Mumford
The story of Mumford has been written by several local historians. Carl F Schmidt, an architect locally noted for his histories of the area, and George Engs Slocum, a local writer whose history of Wheatland appeared in the very early twentieth century. In 1998 (Slocum) and 2002 (Schmidt), the Wheatland Historical Association commissioned reprints of their books.
Mumford, New York (click on image to enlarge)
Mumford traces its origin directly back to a group of Scottish emigrants who, tiring of English tyranny, left Perthshire for the New World, sailing from Greenock early in March 1798. Following their arrival in New York on May Day, they traveled to Johnstown, in Montgomery County. Johnstown was already home to a number of Scots who had left Scotland in previous years.
A land agent named Charles Williamson, a former Scot working for an English absentee landowner, induced them to settle in the Caledonia area, then known as Big Springs. His terms appealed to the immigrant Scots, who deputed five of their number to examine the land. Delighted with what they found, countryside not at all unlike their native Scotland, with its southern Highlands and excellent agricultural straths, they sealed the deal. The first group of Scotsmen left Johnstown in March 1799, traveling by sleigh. In the autumn, the remainder followed.
The Big Springs area was home to the Turtle clan of the Seneca Nation. The first settlers in Big Springs, two Englishmen named Kane and Moffatt, arrived in 1795 and promptly built a tavern. Peterson and Fuller soon acquired the tavern, but, when the Scots arrived, the land was still wilderness. Schmidt described the first of the public works projects which eventually tamed this wilderness:
The only road, if it could be called a road, was the old Indian trail that ran east to Canawaugus and Hartford (now Avon) and west to LeRoy. It was the great war path of the Iroquois Indians that crossed the river at Canawaugus and went directly to "Big Springs" and on to Tonawanda. In 1798, Williamson had this path improved to some extent. The improvement consisted of widening it slightly and filling in some of the holes and bogs so that an ox team could manage to get through.
At this point, Scottsville was home to a mere dozen settlers. Francis Albright, the builder of the area's first industrial establishment, Albright's Mill at what would become known as Wheatland Center, arrived in 1799. On Canawaugus Road, Dugan and Schoonover had settled on or near Dugan's Creek. The Scot settlers had no plan to found a village; they were there for the farming. Their farms covered the expanse of land from several miles south of Caledonia, to the east as far as Wheatland Center, and out west along Creek Road. Again, in Schmidt's words:
...John McNaughton used to relate how they had to sell what clothes they could spare, to rent the oxen from the people of Avon and Geneseo so they could plow their fields. The pioneers endured much hardship and privation, and the spring of 1800 was undoubtedly welcomed with thanks and joy. The sound of the ax was heard from sunrise to sunset during the winter of 1799-1800. All were clearing the land for planting. Even after the land was cleared of trees and brush, it was full of stumps, roots and stones. Plowing was a slow process, only a few feet of earth could be turned without meeting some obstruction. Wheat was sown by hand and covered with a three-cornered drag. Corn was planted without reference to rows, wherever earth enough could be dug to cover the seed. The reaping was done by hand with a sickle and the threshing with a flail.
A group of some thirty Scotsmen comprised the second influx of settlers, in 1803. That year also saw the first schoolhouse west of the Genesee River, built on a knoll south of Oatka Creek and five hundred fifty yards west of the bridge over the creek. John McLaren says of the first teacher, one Alexander McDonald, that he was "the most harsh and tyrannical man ever to wield the birch. By his sanctimonious talk and appearance, he produced the impression upon the minds of the parents that he was imbued with unusual holiness." When the parents realized McDonald's true nature, they invited him to find employment elsewhere, an invitation that did not go unheeded: he went to Canada.
Over the next some years, more people came to the area. They built not only farms but mills for sawing lumber, fulling, dyeing, carding, wool-making, and grinding flour, as well as the manufacture of clothing.
Notable buildings in Mumford today include the Post office, Library, and local Firehall.
Culture and recreation
The Genesee Country Village & Museum contains a model historic village preserving local architecture, a nature center, model gardens, and sporting, art and carriage museums.
Town of Caledonia
Caledonia's high school is Caledonia-Mumford Central School, or Cal-Mum. The school's athletic teams are known as the Red Raiders. Among the stores, restaurants, and public amenities are The Caledonia Village Inn,The MarketPlace Grocery, Gigglin' Pig, The Hack Shack, Seth Graham Design, Iroquois Hotel, Raider Lanes, Pizza Land, Reminisce Soda Fountain, Daffies Pizza, SPLAT, The Cozy Kitchen, Dollar General, Milex Drugs, Silent Memories Photography, Caledonia Library, LT Disposal, Creative e.d.g.e, Mackay's Antiques, Country Junction, Reflections from the Past Antiques, Pastique, Bellissimo Boutique, The Angry Rooster Deli, The Village Gallery, and Centerpoint Transfer.[original research?]
The Caledonia Fire Department was established in 1887, existing until recently as both a Rural Fire Commission and a Village Fire Department. Currently the Caledonia Fire District is the elected body which provides oversight and for financial needs of the emergency operations. The Fire Department provides manpower for the Fire District and holds social events and fund raisers for the benefit of the membership. In 2013 the Caledonia Fire Department responded to 233 calls for service. More information regarding the Caledonia Fire District can be found at caledoniafiredistrict.org and on Facebook.
Ambulance services are provided by CHS Mobile Integrated Healthcare providing ambulance transport and advanced life support response. These services are available for both the village and town residents and currently housed at 3338 Caledonia-Avon Road.
The Seneca Indians long occupied much of present-day western New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. They had a village in this area called Canawaugus (or Conawagus); it was located on the east side of the Genesee River. The site has since been absorbed by Avon, New York. Chief Cornplanter was born here around 1750 into the Wolf clan of his Seneca mother. His father was a Dutch fur trader, John Abeel, whose family had been established in Albany. Cornplanter was known as a statesman as well as a war chief, and he was influential in inviting Quakers to teach Seneca children on his land.
The first European-American settlements did not take place until around 1795, after the American Revolutionary War. The Seneca, as allies of the defeated British, were forced to give up most of their land to the United States. The first known permanent white settlement began in 1797. The Town of Caledonia was established in 1803 as the "Town of Southampton," having previously been known as "Northampton." Settlers from Scotland renamed it in 1806 as Caledonia, the Latin name for Scotland.
Part of the Caledonia territory was used to form the Town of Bellona in 1812; its name was changed to the Town of Le Roy (Genesee County) in 1813. As the population increased, in 1819, another part of Caledonia was removed to form part of the Town of York. The Town of Wheatland (Monroe County) was formed from Caledonia in 1821.